Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Get ready to catch the ball!

WALT - write a recount using dialogue.
I know this when I use speech marks to start and end speech.

On a Tuesday afternoon, Room 6 went to play softball on the field. The class walked towards the coaches who were waiting for us near the trees to give us instructions. However, I just zoomed in front, all ready to listen. The coaches introduced themselves, their names were: Debbie and Santana. They asked us what sports we play. Most of my classmates chose basketball and soccer, but I was the only one who chose ping-pong (table tennis). 

First, they asked us what the triangle shaped mat was called. No one knew, but Aiden yelled out: "It's a home base!" We went towards the other mat that was different shaped. It was a square. Debbie asked what it was, and again, Aiden shouted out: "It's a first base!" Aiden knew all of this because he has played softball for 4 years. Everyone started to get the hang of the pattern. "How about this one? Everyone joined in, "Second base! The other one is a third base!"

Next, we were put into groups. I was in the second base and the other team was at the home base. I was actually proud because my friend was there: Greshka. When Debbie asked our team, "Who wants to go two times?" I quickly shot up my hand as fast as a gun shot, and luckily, I got picked. I was sort of good because at that time, I was energetic and hyper.

I was at the third of the line. I was jumping up and down and stomping on the ground. It was the feeling of excitement. The first person went, and I forgot to cheer because of all the adrenaline rush (sudden burst of energy) in my body. When the next person went, I was about to explode into shards and pieces. When the person was at the last base, he high-fived my hand and off, I ran. I felt as if I was faster than a speeding car.

When I came back, my lungs felt as if they were about to collapse and so I sat on the ground huffing and puffing and gasping for air. "Need... more.... OXYGEN!" Little by little, my body was getting pumped up again. I started jogging just to get ready. Just like before, I spread my legs longer so I would last a little bit longer on the air. When I came back, I was sort of frustrated because I wasn't fast enough to beat my opponent.

Then, they made our team go into 1 straight line facing towards the other team. In front of me, was Ingrid. I was a little bit confused because Philomena was in front of me too. "The person in front of you will have to be your partner! I made a confused face at both Philomena and Ingrid. When Debbie sorted our partners out, Ingrid was chosen to be my partner. Kevin, at the other end, didn't have a partner, so he was grouped up with Santana. 

After that, they gave the other team the tennis balls. They didn't look like tennis balls because they were too big and  shaped like base balls. Then they told us the basic techniques (moves). Debbie spread her fingers and placed her 2 thumbs together. "Can anyone tell me what this move is?" questioned Debbie. No one knew at first, but Aiden bravely shouted: "It's called a butterfly!" "Yes, it indeed is!" Debbie said. "Can anyone show me their butterfly?" I tried doing the same thing as she did, but I backed my hand a bit so the ball could land and won't fall off.

"Now try throwing it to your friend and let your friend try to catch it" Debbie told us. Ingrid and I needed some more practice, but we started to get there on the seventh throw. To test our butterfly catch skills, Debbie let us play 'who could throw and catch the furthest. The game rule was to throw the ball to your friend. You have to throw it to your friend, then he/she has to throw it back. If one of the groups drop their ball, they have to sit down because they're out.

Ingrid and I were prepared, but we failed at the first round because our throw was too low. We watched the other people throw, but someone's speed was too fast and it hit the ground. When people were backing a little bit more, it looks as if they were about to bump into the junior's playground! When the round finished, the winning group was Kevin and Santana. I applauded to them too loud and hard, that my hands almost turned red.

On the second round, we failed again because this time, we threw too high. After the round, the bell rang, but everyone begged to have one more round. We passed the first round, and Ingrid and I were actually proud of it. However, we had to walk two steps back. On the next round, we passed again! This time, we didn't have enough strength to throw the ball, so it hit the ground. We were sad again, but at least we got to the third round. New high score! I cheered in my head.

We had fun at softball, it was 40 minutes, but it felt as if it was at least 20 minutes or so because we didn't notice how fast time flew away when we were having too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.