Pages

Saturday 22 November 2014

A sad and depressing yet exciting day!

In the holidays, my family, my other friends and I wanted to go to the snow in Mt. Ruapehu, but went to the Luge instead.
Everybody was excited so we all got up early in the morning at around at 6:00 o’clock.  My dad wanted to stay home because he wished to have some beer and food with his friends. I closed the door and we all started to put our food in a huge bag and our clothes in our own bags. We also had to bring a towel because we were also taking a shower in a Motel. We zipped them up and changed into our woolly and warm clothes so when we arrive there, we will still stay warm from the cold.


We put all our bags into the back of the car. All of the bags didn’t fit in the back, so we had to keep 2 bags in the back seat which was my brother’s and mine. My auntie bought 2 umbrellas in case it rained. I was seated in the middle at the back seat. My auntie was on the right and my brother was on the left. I was squashed that I had to lift my feet up. I found a comfy position, but I was also sleepy so I leaned on my auntie’s shoulder and fell asleep.


I got woken up when the car was going uphill. There was a kind of deep down cliff which made me feel scared for our lives so I looked away. After a while I smelt something very smelly like a car going through a dump yard. My sister decided to play the blame game and pointed the finger to my brother. I had to agree too because he sometimes doesn’t wash himself properly. All of us blocked our noses but I put my nose inside my shirt so I could still breathe. We kept blocking our noses until we found out it was just sulphur. My mum, auntie and I thought it was the gas, but my sister and brother thought it was a kind of metal kind of smell. We all just stopped blocking our noses and dealt with it.


Then a huge disappointment came when it rained heavily because we all knew that we couldn’t go to the snow. I asked my mum and she said that we would go up a rocky hill and the car might slip off the hill. After a while, we parked  at Mcdonald’s because all of us were really hungry. I ordered a frappe and forgot to order a cheeseburger. When I walked around, waiting for my order, every friend of mine was in a line. I felt like I was the only one who was the odd one out, so I just sat near a window and played on my ipad. I was playing ‘My Boo.’ I got really bored of just playing on my own. My mum came to me and led me to our table. My frappe was done and it was really icy. I had the flavour chocolate which was really tasty and delicious. I drank it slowly because I might have a brain freeze which can really hurt. But I was very  hungry and asked my mum if she had my cheese burger. She said that she didn’t hear me order a cheeseburger, so we went to the counter to get one. When they were done, we went back to our table to eat. When I took a bite, it was much better than the frappe. Suddenly, one of my uncles gave us three fries. One for auntie and me, the other for my brother and mum, and my sister. When I finished my frappe and cheeseburger, I was really full. I played on my ipad again but my brother snatched it off me so I quickly turned it off. When he turned it on, he can’t play with it because it needed my password. He was begging me to give him my password but I stubbornly refused because of the way he snatched it off me. When everyone had eaten their food, we all went back into the car and drove to a Motel.

I began to feel sick because of the sulphuric smell in the air. When we got to the motel, a man at the reception gave us the keys to our rooms.  We also got free milk and a free small cup of bubble bath liquid. We were staying in the room 207. Our neighbour was Ashley and to our right were strangers. Our room was nice. There was a television and 2 beds. When I sat on the blue couch, it almost tipped over. It was actually a couch that can be bent over to become a bed. When I went further, I saw small kitchen. Up ahead of the kitchen was a sink, a bathroom and a shower. I went back to the kitchen to check what was on the left. I opened the door and saw that it was a bedroom with a very large bed. Next to the bed was a blurry glass door. I opened the door and saw a jacuzzi. I couldn’t wait to go for a swim. I went back to the kitchen and saw some packets of coffee, chocolate drink powder and some sugar. I wanted to have some hot chocolate so I grabbed a cup and a plate, tore up the packet and poured the powder and boiling water into the cup. I added some sugar and milk before stirring it. I left it in the kitchen benchtop to let it cool down. I heard some of my friends outside so I went to them. There was tito Nick with Nico, Liam, and Carl. Tito Nick asked if anyone wanted to go to the Luge. I didn’t know what a Luge was, so I just agreed to go with them. He said I had to ask my mum if we were allowed. My mum said that we could come and I got really excited. We all went inside our car, but Danielle, Liam and Nico couldn’t go. I felt sad for them!


It only took 15 minutes for us to get there to the Luge.  There was a skyline that goes up a really tall hill. I remembered going into the Luge once, but I was scared of the skyline because I thought the ropes might break. Carl cooled me down when he told me that the ropes were indestructible. When I looked closely at the ropes, they were made out of metal so I believed Carl was right. I checked my height to see if I was higher than 135 cm. But luckily I was over 135 cm. Carl said it was kind of cheating because I was wearing shoes. My heart was pounding really fast because I might’ve been lower than 135 cm. I took my shoes off and checked again. I was lucky because I was just 135 cm. That was how high I had to be to ride on the cart by myself. I wanted to ride it by myself because, when I was 7, everyone except me was on the Luge, and I was sad. We took some photos on a fake cart that was held down on the ground. After that, my mum bought the tickets and we went inside. There was a line of people who were going inside the skyline. A lady who was part of the staff, took photos of the people who were inside the skyline. When it was our turn, we just waited for the next skyline to pass over. Carl’s family just speedily went into the skyline we skipped. When we went inside the skyline, it was really slow so the photographer had enough time to take a picture of us inside. After she took the photo, she waited again for the next people to go inside the other skyline. Next our doors and windows closed and started to speed up. After a while, we were outside of the building and high above the ground. I was really scared. I just tried to close my eyes or just look away. Soon, our skyline started to shake. I grabbed hold of the seat until we were there. When it was done, the skyline started to go slower because we were about to get off the skyline.


After we went off the skyline, we went inside a hallway that led us to a small shop. The first thing I saw were mud soap. I thought it would be very smelly, but it smelt like perfume. I tried to check some other items but it was time to go to the Luge. We went outside a door that was close to the shop. There were other food shops outside like jelly beans, coffee and ice cream.
We went up ahead to see what was there, and it was the carts. We went around to get to the luge. The fences were made of metal and the metal ropes were below it. We kept walking and walking until we got to a person who was in charge.  I took off my sweater because the seats were wet. I also had to take off my scarf because a sign said not to wear loose garments. When everybody were on their cart, I held on to the handlebars and wondered what it were they for. The instructor said to try and pull the handle bars only a little bit but not all the way. When I pulled it, it started to lift up the cart and started to move. I let go of it because I thought I might crash to the cart in front of me. I did it a little more and saw that it was actually safe because it was only slow. It was also controllable to go left or right. Next I slowly drove straight up but the cart was moving left. The cart was going into a line of people on their carts. I parked there for a while and waited for my turn. When my turn came, I was ready to pull my handlebars when he was doing a count down. As soon as he said 0, I zoomed on the tracks but I was also slow because I was on the scenic cart. The fast people were on the intermediate, but the advanced was closed because it was too slippery and could cause injuries.

While I was going fast, a sign said to slow down so I tried to let go of it a little bit. While I was slowing down, I saw a small kid riding on his own, crashed and he was stuck. I looked back to see what happened, and I saw my mum helping him. I couldn't stop because I was already far away from him. I was going faster and faster until I went downhill. There was a turn left sign and so I slowed down because it also had a deep cliff. I stopped and started, stopped and started again and again so I would make sure I was safe. Other people weren't afraid of the cliff so they rode fast past me. I then got cold and my hands were freezing. I thought I would let go by now but I was too scared. I held on tight and saw that there were more tracks to go. Next I saw my mum and I went past her. I was confused of how she got there. In the middle of the road, I saw someone’s cart. I dodged it by turning left on the track. I saw a lot of male adults yelling “WOO!” and going zooming really fast than the others. I knew he was on the intermediate because it was faster than the scenic. I just ignored them and went on. I then saw Jetro with his dad. They were enjoying the ride. When I went under a bridge, I saw that it was finally over. I drove slowly in a tight road where it was going to end. I was relieved that it was finally over. I accidentally stopped near where the carts were supposed to go. I tried everything I can and pushed with all my might, but the cart was too heavy I couldn’t even move it a cm far. Then a kind lady pulled it to the other carts for me. I wondered where the conveyor belt led the carts to. I looked to the right side to see where they were going. There was actually a chairlift with a metal hook below the chair  where the cart’s handlebars would hang on to the hooks and carried away to where the instructor man was. I had to be 185 cm to go on the chair lift by myself but I was too short. So I waited and waited for so long for mum. Finally she was in the tight road and put her cart into the conveyor belt. After that, three kids, 2 boys and a girl crashed and accidentally went to the full conveyor belt instead of the empty conveyor belt that were on the left. We went to the line of a few people for the chairlift. When they were done. It was our turn. We stood on the ground and didn't know what would happen. Surprisingly, a chairlift was behind my back so I sat down so I wouldn't fall when we were going up. My mum pulled down the pole that was behind the chair to grab hold of it. I finally calmed down and wasn't afraid of the chair lift anymore. I smiled and I was proud of myself because I finally conquered my greatest fear!

WALT - write a recount using descriptive language to make my writing more interesting.
I know this when I use action words and describing words appropriately and correctly in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.